Friday, October 23, 2009

Snowflake Story

I had to write about a specific educational experience and write about it for my creative writing class. It still needs work like all my other writings do, but here it is.
Snowflake
The days were getting colder as the summer months were ripped from the calendar to make way for winter ones. Through out the weeks, it was getting more straining for us first graders to make our extra scarves and gloves that our mothers made us wear fit into our apple red cubbies. We had been stuck inside our classroom for over an hour, and we were anxious for Mrs. Furgison to dismiss us to stand in single file by the door so we could finally got to recess. Our eyes kept peering at the clock even though none of us knew what the black sticks ticking round and round meant. All we knew was that it had something to do with when we got to go to lunch, leave for home, and other important and exciting things like that.

“Alright, it’s time to get in line. Line up quietly by the door,” our teacher said as we all scrambled from our seats to be sure to get there first. “Wait, don’t forget your coats! It’s cold outside today.” After some more moving around and scuttling, each of us had our coats on. We may have put only half an arm or a shoulder through the sleeves, but we were in a hurry for running around and climbing the monkey bars.

It felt like an eternity while Mrs. Furgison stood tall at the front of the line with her quiet pointer finger resting on her bottom lip waiting for our little chatters to hush. Once we were all quiet, she opened the door and we followed her down the stairs and outside to the side walk. The sky was gray and every couple of feet there seemed to be white feathers falling from the sky. I was not paying attention to them because I had my eye on the tire swing and the bigger kids that got there first to play on it.

I heard a gasp come from my teacher who had somehow made her way beside me. “Look class!” I was very shy and began to panic thinking that I had done something wrong or that I was in trouble. I never got singled out. She told everyone to gather round and look at the tiny drop that rested on my shoulder. I heard “wow!” and “cool!” and “move over!” I was confused. Then I saw what everyone else was looking at. It was a snowflake that was no larger than half the eraser at the end of our pencils. It was so perfect and had exceptionally detailed points and lines. I had never seen a snowflake that wasn’t cut out of paper with scissors. .I had always thought that the shape of a snowflake was made up just like the shape of the Grinch’s heart. It was beautiful, but it quickly melted away on the warmth of my Barbie pink coat. For the rest of recess, instead of everyone running off in a hustle to play, we all stood around on the side walk hoping for another glimpse of perfection to land on one of us. No one was able to find one and they all were watching me to see what I was doing because I must have done something unique and special to have a snowflake land on me. We looked at things closer after that in hopes of having another “wow!” experience.

No comments: